Thursday, July 12, 2012

Product Review: Green and Black’s 70% Dark Chocolate



Allergen info: Contains milk and soy. May contain traces of hazelnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, pistachios and wheat.
Other info:  Certified Fair Trade. Certified USDA Organic.

Overall Product Rating: A

Anyone who knows me is well aware that I am chocolate obsessed. I have my own personal stash hidden in the kitchen. Although I typically eat chocolate after dinner for my “dessert,” I use all of its health benefits to justify my indulgence. Chocolate, especially authentic dark chocolate is a wonderful source of flavonoid antioxidants. Many studies of also linked the flavonoids to help lower blood pressure. It also functions as a natural mood boaster by increasing endorphin and serotonin levels (what I like to call “happy” chemicals). Some studies have even linked dark chocolate to a natural appetite suppressant.


As far as Green and Black’s? There is so much to love about this chocolate. It is high quality and made from certified fair trade and organic chocolate. It is prepared from Trinitario beans which are a hybrid bean that originated in Trinidad. What I like about this chocolate is that the flavor is not overly diluted with artificial flavors such as palm and vegetable oils like lower quality chocolates. At the same time, it is rich, fine, and delicate.  What I love about this chocolate is that it is not overloaded with sugar and it contains 4g of fiber per serving. In addition, it is very low in sodium and contains no cholesterol.  Tough to beat!

RANKING:
Would I purchase again: Yes.
Palatability grade: A
Potential for improvement: More varieties please.
Dietetic Profile: A
Overall Grade: A


© Kate Ezra Wolf, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment